Abuse and neglect of children

Police officers and detectives enter the crime scene area where a 9-year-old boy was fatally shot, Friday, July 31, 2020, in Chicago. A suspect has been arrested in the fatal shooting of Janari Ricks and police hope to secure charges against him in the coming days, the city's police superintendent said Monday, Aug. 3, 2020. (John J. Kim/Chicago Tribune via AP)
Associated Press
August 03, 2020 - 6:47 pm
CHICAGO (AP) — July in Chicago ended as it began: Mourning the death of a child whose only mistake was venturing outside to play when someone with a gun came to the neighborhood hunting for an enemy. On Monday, two days after his department released statistics that revealed the month had been one...
Read More
In this Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2020, photo, a statue stands outside the Boys Scouts of America headquarters in Irving, Texas. The Boy Scouts of America has filed for bankruptcy protection as it faces a barrage of new sex-abuse lawsuits. The filing Tuesday, Feb. 18, in Wilmington, Delaware, is an attempt to work out a potentially mammoth compensation plan for abuse victims that will allow the 110-year-old organization to carry on. (AP Photo/LM Otero)
Associated Press
February 18, 2020 - 9:21 am
Barraged by hundreds of sex-abuse lawsuits, the Boy Scouts of America filed for bankruptcy protection Tuesday in hopes of working out a potentially mammoth victim compensation plan that will allow the 110-year-old organization to carry on. The Chapter 11 filing in federal bankruptcy court in...
Read More
Members of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, including Richard Windmann, hold signs in front of the New Orleans Saints training facility in Metairie, La., Wednesday Jan. 29, 2020. The pro football team acknowledged last week that its front office helped church leaders deal with the public relations fallout that followed the publishing a list of local clergymen the archdiocese deemed “credibly accused” of sexually abusing children. (AP Photo/Matthew Hinton)
Associated Press
January 30, 2020 - 9:54 am
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The New Orleans Saints maintain their behind-the-scenes public relations work on the area’s Roman Catholic sexual abuse crisis was “minimal,” but attorneys suing the church allege hundreds of confidential Saints emails show the team actively helping to shape a list of credibly...
Read More
FILE - In this Monday, Aug. 10, 2015 file photo, Judge Timothy Feeley, left, addresses former the Rev. Richard J. McCormick, 74, in Salem Superior Court in Boston. Joey Covino said the entirety of his adult life had been altered by McCormick’s abuse over two summers at a Salesian camp - failed relationships, his decisions to join the military and later the police, nightmares that plagued him. His decision to come forward led to McCormick being convicted of rape in 2014 and sentenced to up to 10 years. McCormick since has pleaded guilty to assaulting another boy. (Faith Ninivaggi/The Boston Herald via AP, Pool)
Associated Press
December 28, 2019 - 3:02 pm
Richard J. Poster served time for possessing child pornography, violated his probation by having contact with children, admitted masturbating in the bushes near a church school and in 2005 was put on a sex offender registry. And yet the former Catholic priest was only just this month added to a...
Read More
FILE - In this Wednesday, June 19, 2019, file photo, state Sen. Brad Hoylman, D-New York, speaks in the Senate Chamber at the state Capitol in Albany, N.Y. Hoylman introduced the Adult Survivors Act in the autumn of 2019, saying survivors of adult sex abuse deserve their day in court. (AP Photo/Hans Pennink, File)
December 24, 2019 - 1:20 am
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Churches, youth groups and schools were hit by a tsunami of lawsuits in 2019 after New York gave survivors of childhood sexual abuse a one-year window to sue over allegations ordinarily barred by statutes of limitation. Now, some lawmakers want to open the same window for people...
Read More
FILE - This May 18, 2004 file photo shows Inmates sitting in one of the cottages at the Circleville Juvenile Correctional Facility in Circleville, Ohio. A new federal report has found the number of kids who say they've been sexually victimized while in juvenile detention centers is dropping across the U.S. compared to years past. But remarkably high rates of sexual victimization persist in 12 facilities stretching from Oregon to Florida, including Circleville, according to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics special report released Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019. (Tim Revell/The Columbus Dispatch via AP, File)
Associated Press
December 11, 2019 - 5:39 pm
BOISE, Idaho (AP) — A new federal report has found the number of kids who say they have been sexually victimized in juvenile detention centers has dropped across the U.S. compared with past years. But remarkably high rates of sexual abuse persist in 12 facilities stretching from Oregon to Florida,...
Read More
In this combination photo, Wade Robson, left, and James Safechuck pose for a portrait to promote the film "Leaving Neverland" during the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah on Jan. 24, 2019. A California appeals court is strongly inclined to give new life to lawsuits filed by Robson and James Safechuck who accuse Michael Jackson of molesting them when they were boys. In a tentative ruling Monday, the 2nd District Court of Appeal said lawsuits from the men should be reconsidered by the trial court that dismissed them in 2017. The decision is based on a new California law that gives sex abuse victims far longer to sue. (Photo by Taylor Jewell/Invision/AP)
Associated Press
November 18, 2019 - 6:37 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A California appeals court appeared strongly inclined Monday to give new life to lawsuits filed by two men who accuse Michael Jackson of repeatedly molesting them when they were boys. Three judges from the 2nd District Court of Appeal said in a tentative ruling that lawsuits from...
Read More
Parent Mirna Herrera kneels with her daughters Liliana, 15, and Alexandra, 16 at the Central Park memorial for the Saugus High School victims in Santa Clarita, Calif., Friday, Nov. 15, 2019. Investigators said Friday they have yet to find a diary, manifesto or note that would explain why a boy killed two students outside his Southern California high school on his 16th birthday. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)
Associated Press
November 16, 2019 - 1:02 am
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (AP) — The death of a 16-year-old boy who killed two students and wounded three others at his Southern California high school has left investigators struggling to discover what prompted the deadly attack. Friends and neighbors described Nathaniel Tennosuke Berhow as bright,...
Read More
FILE - In this Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2019, file photo, Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks at a news conference in Sacramento, Calif. Newsom has signed a law giving child sexual assault victims more time to file lawsuits. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)
October 13, 2019 - 10:35 pm
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California is giving childhood victims of sexual abuse more time to decide whether to file lawsuits, joining several states in expanding the statute of limitations for victims over warnings from school districts that the new rules could bankrupt them. The law signed Sunday...
Read More
October 11, 2019 - 2:30 pm
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday signed a law that will make the state the first to allow employers, co-workers and teachers to seek gun violence restraining orders against other people. The bill was vetoed twice by former governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, and goes...
Read More

Pages